[mythtv] Re: Teletext and /or subtitles in myth

Martin Moeller martin at martinm-76.dk
Sun Feb 13 20:28:16 UTC 2005

Lørdag den 12. februar 2005 10:48 skrev Martin Barnasconi:
> On Friday 11 February 2005 21:30, Martin Moeller wrote:
[....]
> > I couldn't figure out how to get the list of the teletext pages
> > stored in the recording so I only fixed it so it would work on SAA7134
> > cards and not do buffer overruns. Any further action in this area would
> > be very much appreciated :)
> >
> > I think with the latest landmarks in the OSD a Teletext menu where you
> > pick and choose from the embedded pages would be the best solution, but I
> > haven't got the coding skills to implement that....
> >
> > /Martin.
> >

> The current implementation of vbi (for non-PVR cards) only supports CC or
> extracts subtitling from the teletext pages. The way it is currently
> implemented in nuppelvideorecoder Its that is stores the subtiltles only,
> not the vbi stream. Probably the main issue here is the real-time software
> encoding of the nuv stream and in parallel the sliced vbi storage....
>
> This is no issue for the PVR cards, where the IVTV 0.2.0-xxx drivers
> support vbi storage in a private stream in the MPEG data. As soon as vbi
> decoding for IVTV based PVR cards is possible (I do my best), the preferred
> way is to buy a PVR card if you would like have subtitles AND teletext.

It may be preferred and I'm even inclined to agree that it is better that way,
but please do not remove support for software encoded VBI.  It is a feature I
value highly. It could of course be moved to a different hotkey or something,
but it should not be removed (if I got the gist of your message wrong, then I
apologize - I just need to make clear that I use this feature a great deal,
even if it's not 'full featured').

Also, I know the value of the teletext pages are stored in the stream. I saw
it during my debugging sessions, but where to look for the values... That I
didn't figure out.
> Martin

/Martin.