[mythtv] Re: Re: Re: Scheduler behavior, why?

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Sun Feb 13 14:59:39 UTC 2005

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the behavior in question has been
> in CVS for over a year, and in a released version for 8 months.  IOW,
> it's not new, and this is the first time, IIRC, anyone has complained.

Normally it does what I expect (or at least, by observation, appeared to).
If I didn't have another person who wanted to record NUMB3RS (and cared that
it didn't) I would have continued to be perfectly happy with the scheduler
(and ignorant to the fact that the scheduler didn't actually work how I
thought).

I don't know about others but for me conflicts are rare, I've somewhat
recently done a hardware shuffle the result of which is three tuners
(instead of four) in that box making those more of an issue now. I also
don't add new shows often, certainly not often enough or at the right times
to make this a common occurrence.

> I think you might be taking things too personally.  Unless I missed
> something, no one said your expectations were unrealistic.  Rather, we
> explained why things worked the way they did.

Undoubtedly it is so.

I may seem ungrateful for the explanation of how the scheduler actually
works, I'm not.

It is more my perception of the tone that had me frustrated. I'm sure it is
just me; to the casual uninterested observer I'm certain it must have looked
like a friendly exchange of information.

> In this particular case, you pointed out an area where things could be
> better and it turned out a minor change could help.

I am grateful to both of you for patching this so quickly.

> However, I
> guarantee you I can create a scenario where the current scheduler,
> even with the new change, would revert back to the previous behavior.

Which will be handled, at least until her default returns to trust, by the
person who records NUMB3RS reviewing the recording schedule like a maniac.

--
Anduin Withers