[mythtv] Mythweb font size and color

Chris Strom mythtv at eeeCooks.com
Wed Feb 9 23:05:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 04:36:37PM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Chris Strom wrote:
> >Just one man's opinion, but I think that the font size in the CVS
> >mythweb is too darn small.  While it looks OK on 100 dpi systems, other
> >dpi settings make it nearly too small to read.  Unlike frontends, you
> >can't expect all browsers to run at the same dpi.
>
> Current size is great for me, running at 1600x1200 on both my 21" desktop
> monitor and my 15" laptop monitor. I think the problem with making it
> larger is that stuff won't fit on the display as well with lower
> resolutions..

But it does not look good on mine.

IMHO the only time that point size should be used in CSS is when
formatting for print.  Specifying a point size for use in a web browser is
no different than specifying a pixel size.  What looks good on one monitor
may not look good on someone else's.

I have configured Firefox so that the default font looks good on my
monitor.  I can comfortably read anything that does not over-ride the font
size.  Font that is slightly larger or slightly smaller is still easy to
read.  But, by specifying a specific pixel size, my settings are being
completely disregarded.  And, on my 1400x1050 14" laptop, it looks too
small.

Any time I do CSS, I only use percentages, em's or ex's.  That way, I
don't mess to much with the user's defaults.

-Chris