[mythtv] Hidden channels appear in browse mode

Ben de Luca bend at bedel.mine.nu
Sun Feb 6 12:24:58 UTC 2005

On 06/02/2005, at 9:40 AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

>> This is by design, and the way it should be. I have a lot of channels
>> with out EPG guide information but with useful content.
>>
>> There might possibly be some use in adding an unbrowseable flag.
>>
>> bd
>
> If they don't have guide info, what good is showing them in browse
> mode?  If you want to watch the channel because you know it has
> useful content then change the channel.
>
> I added the browse mode in Myth, but it doesn't matter to me either
> way if it honors the visible flag or not, but if you don't want
> something in the EPG, then why show it in browse mode?  If it doesn't
> have useful data in the EPG then showing it in browse mode isn't any
> good.  If someone disables a channel in the EPG because they don't
> want their kids to see it, then they probably don't want their
> kids browsing to or past it either.

I took it to be by design because how it works is described exactly by
what's in the online description of the flag. The example of hiding
channels from children is a  poor one, any one with children can be
sure that some thing hidden is going to be easily found, if they know
its there.

Im used to browse mode, to see what channels are there, 80% of the
channels on Australian DVB are not channels that have guide data. EG,
data cast channels, online TV guide, or news, or 24/7 infomercials. The
channel ids for these channels range from 1 to 1500ish, impossible to
remember.

I had planned on adding a feature where one could leave default info in
browse mode. So it is actually useful, And an un-browsable flag. Though
lately all my time is taken up with my commercial coding. Any how after
I get rid of this nasty cancer that seems to have afflicted me and I
get some more time, I do want create these patches.

bd