[mythtv] Recent BUG: deleting from Watch Recordings

Holger Buchfink avalanche at beyondmonkey.com
Sun Feb 6 00:38:56 UTC 2005

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> The RECORDING_LIST_CHANGE event is dispatched after the file is removed now,
> so if it takes 10 seconds to delete the file, it will take a little more
> than 10 seconds for the display to show it's been removed.  This is actually
> showing you when it's removed from the database now, rather than the old
> way of removing all info from the database whether the file could be removed
> or not (or whether the file even existed or not).
>
> Anyone have any input about Kevin's suggestion of changing the color of the
> item on-screen?  Or are there any other ideas to show the user that the
> recording is being deleted?  I didn't want to remove it from the screen,
> only to have it pop back up if it couldn't be deleted, but I also find it
> annoying to have to wait for the recording to be deleted.  That's why I've
> made changes to the delete code in the past to move more things into the
> delete thread rather than requiring the frontend to wait on them.

I already sent a patch for Isaac to take a look earlier today, didn't want
to commit it this close to release. The patch prepends "**" to the title of
deleted recordings, should provide at least enough feedback for the .17
release. It lets the backend's delete thread update the title in the db,
before it starts deleting the file, that way playbackbox updates and shows
the "**title", untill the backend is finished deleting it. It's fairly
staight forward, other ways would require more complex changes due to the
way recording lists are updated and displayed. It also delays rescheduling
events after deleting something for about 20 seconds, that way the freed
space should be taken into account. Patch is attached, suggestions and
feedback welcome.

Holger