[mythtv] Patch: Dropdown for audio output device selection

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Feb 4 17:43:43 UTC 2005

> Sure, I don't use the plughw syntax for mine but I assume that it is
> the same or equivalent as if I did ALSA:spdif?  As long as it
> represents the majority of common devices but is dynamically generated
> from the system I would think that would give the best results.
> Certainly enumerating all the subdevices isn't necessary.

No, roughly speaking if you have three sound cards in the system then
they are called: hw:0, hw:1, hw:2.  However, you can use your asoundrc
file to rename them to more userfriendly names.  THere is also a plugin
called "plughw" which helps out when the physical cards can't handle
certain formats, but otherwise sits there idly.  For example my RME card
only support 32bit input.  I need plughw to allow myth to send 16 bit
data.  Basically if in doubt you should use plughw to just act as a go
between

Then for every real physical device you get a whole bunch of other
subdevices like spdif, multichannel surround, etc.  There are quite a
few if you enumerate them!

I agree though that spdif is perhaps one of the more common devices we
might want to offer.

Ed W