[mythtv] Lost my recording metadata. Thoughts on avoiding in the future...

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Feb 4 02:01:50 UTC 2005

I had a strange problem last night that dropped nearly all my metadata
from my box.  I recently was testing some ACPI stuff and had occasion to
have the box poweroff ungracefully once or twice which resulted in my
recording mirrored mountpoint to not mount even after I thought I had
corrected the issue.  It seemed then that the auto-expiration code ran,
saw my rather small / partition as the recording partition and saw that
it was below the threshold and started trying to delete stuff.  Needless
to say, it couldn't, because the files were missing but it still dumped
the recorded and oldrecorded data for those recordings.

Obviously I could/should have 1) had a SQL backup.  2) Turned off
auto-expire since I have almost 80 GB free normally.  3) Turned off
rerecord on autoexpire to retain my metadata in the oldrecorded table
even if things were deleted.

But, what I'm thinking is, should the system really be dumping metadata
if it tries to auto-expire a file that doesn't exist?

Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't end up with orphaned database
entries like that and the system currently just dumps the meta-data and
spawns the delete thread without regard for it's success or failure.  I
would think a better option would be to put all the deletion code in the
thread that is spawned and only remove metadata if the file was actually
physically deleted to avoid dumping data when other issues may have
prevented the file from being unavailable whether locally or via network
mountpoints.

Thoughts?

Kevin