[mythtv] Patch: Dropdown for audio output device selection

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Feb 3 23:22:05 UTC 2005

> I don't know if this is standard across distributions, but I'd sure be
> nice if we could query the /proc/asound files to get the list of
> available ALSA ports or use an appropriate ALSA function call to
> iterate the ports.  If we're going to offer the drop down options, why
> not show what's available instead of a hard coded value?

Oh, oh.  Me sir, me sir..... Yes I can answer this one....

Basically, I "acquired" a small baby two weeks ago and have pretty much
run out of time to eat, sleep and breathe...  However, I thought this
was a useful first start.

To be honest it has been sitting in my tree for a while whilst thinking
about whether I could do what you suggested.  However, I think that the
best thing to do is actually just enumerate the physical devices and
then offer ALSA:plughw:X - if you try to offer all the sub devices then
you will have a 2,000 item list by the time you get all the auto
generated stuff out of the way.  I think there is little reason to need
more than plughw and the device number since if you really need anything
more than that then you are presumably also capable of figuring out how
to use a keyboard and type in the correct details?

What do you think?

Ed W