[mythtv] database upgrade error in latest cvs?

Peter Lee peteratcmu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:52:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:34:29 -0500, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 02:36 pm, Peter Lee wrote:
> > Hi.  I have been running cvs for several months on both a master
> > front/back end system and also a slave backend system.  Late this
> > morning I did a cvs update on master.  When this appeared to be
> > working ok, I then updated the slave.  However, the slave backend
> > fails on startup, with this message in its log:
>
> Log from the master, when it did its upgrade?

I'm a bit mystified, and probably I was also a bit stupid.  There are
no new entries the master's log (in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log).
WTF?

After I compiled and installed today, I restarted the master backend
and then checked the backend status (which was "OK").  I then used a
remote frontend to test, which also worked.  I then noticed the
problem when trying to restart the slave backend.

Things have gotten worse.  I stopped the master backend and manually
dropped the firewire_port column.  This may have been inadvisable.  I
then tried to start the backend from the shell and it now it fails in
exactly the same way as the slave, with exactly the same error message
(see the error in my original post).  Other than that there is no
other output from the backend.

Note that each attempt to start the backend results in the
"firewire_port" column being reinserted into the database.  In other
words, I can start with a database with the column dropped, and then
attempt to start the backend (which fails).  The column reappears.
Don't know if that is helpful information.

Would it be helpful to post a dump of the capturecard table?  It is
pretty simple, since it has only 2 rows.  One thing I notice is that
there are other firewire-related columns
(firewire_{speed,model,node}).

Peter