[Semi-OT]: TWC Firewire [Was: Re: [mythtv] [patch] firewire mpeg2ts input]

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Wed Feb 2 18:03:39 UTC 2005

> Just curious, does anyone happen to know what cable box Time Warner
> Cable provides that has 1394 on it?
>
> I called them up last night to upgrade to digital cable to try this out
> (heck, there's only a one month commit, so the extra $10-$15 isn't gonna
> kill me *grin*), and the salesguy checked and said all their HD boxes
> had FireWire outputs. However, the box I picked up from their store
> (Scientific Atlanta 3100) doesn't, and the lady said they'd have to
> schedule a tech out to get a firewire-capable box. So, just wondering if
> there's a specific box I should ask for.
>
> I can just see the tech going "so *why* do you want this hooked up to a
> computer?"  :)

I had this same thing happen. I had TW, switch to Dish, then when the
firewire cable boxes supposedly came out along with TW getting alot of
HD channels, I decided to try them again. I called the the tech said
they did have the firewire cable boxes and he marked my account with the
info so I could get one. I called back the the person told me I had to
have a tech come out and install it (and I made sure I told them I
wanted firewire). He came out, hooked everything up and left. I was
eager to try the firewire when I looked and it was not there. I called
and they told me to bring it in and exchange it. When I did, I found out
  they did not have any of the firewire cable boxes, so I cancelled TW
again.

- James