[mythtv] [patch] firewire mpeg2ts input

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Wed Feb 2 01:39:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:16:03PM -0800, Jim Westfall wrote:
> Attached is a patch that enables firewire mpeg2ts as a valid input in
> linux (x86/ppc).  Its been tested on set top models DCT-6200 and SA 3250
> thus far.  I would appreciate additional testers and any feed back.
>
> following libs and versions are required to use the patch:
>
> libraw1394 version 1.1.0+ (www.linux1394.org)
> libiec61883 svn revision 49+ (svn://svn.linux1394.org/libiec61883)
>
> The patch is against cvs from last night, so it should apply
> without much trouble.  Once applied edit settings.pro to enable
> firewire support.
>
> The patch only supports external channel changing at this point, but most
> everything (livetv/recording/ff/etc) else should be working.
>
> thanks
> Jim Westfall

Jim, have you looked into also streaming the video back out firewire in
the DTVLink format?   A growing number of TVs (Mitsubishi, RCA, Toshiba)
have DTVLink/1394 ports on them which you can stream mpeg2 to and the
TV displays it.  Meant for playing from cable boxes, DVRs and camcorders
(though they usually use DV, a simpler compression system than mp2)

Of course if you did this there would be extra work to get the OSD on top
(though it is possible using mpeg2's overlay bitmap stream) and getting
the UI would be a real fun challenge I expect (the simplest would be to
try to make a low-res framebuffer -> DV converter to base the X server on.)

But it sure would be nice, perfect quality, no CPU requirement to playback,
etc.