[mythtv] Tv power control idea

Neil Whelchel koyama at firstlight.net
Fri Dec 30 15:52:13 EST 2005

No, it uses the same ir code to turn on and off, that is why I use the pin
on the parallel port to sense the power LED of the TV to determine the
state of the power.
I had thought of the X10 idea as I use it everywhere in my house and I am
thinking about writing an X10 plugin for Myth. In the case of yanking the
power from the TV, this will not work as my TV needs to have a number of
settings made every time the power is interrupted.. :(

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Dan Wilga wrote:

> It sounds like you're lucky enough to have a TV with discrete on/off
> IR signals. For anyone else who is reading this thread but isn't so
> fortunate, your idea won't work, because the TV would be turned *on*
> whenever the screen saver kicks in.
>
> So, for those people, another idea would be to plug your TV into an
> X10 appliance module and connect your computer to an X10 interface.
> Then, you can use something like "heyu":
>
>    http://heyu.tanj.com/
>
> to send a powerline signal to turn the appliance module off and back
> on a few seconds later. When most TVs lose power briefly the screen
> turns completely off and stays that way. After power is reapplied a
> few seconds later, a human being can then turn the TV back on if they
> want to.
> --
> Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
> Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
> Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
> South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"

-Neil Whelchel-
First Light Internet Services
760 366-0145
- We don't do Window$, that's what the janitor is for -

Bubble Memory, n.:
        A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
intelligence.  See also "vacuum tube".