[mythtv] mythtv-backend upgrade flaw

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Fri Dec 23 18:16:12 EST 2005

Hi,

During a nightly upgrade of MythTV using your packages for Debian Unstable,
the upgrade script stopped mythtv-backend without checking that it was in
use. The end result was that a recording was cut off prematurely, without any
warning or prompts.

Would it not be better to have a script, such as one from the apache2 package,
where it asks you if you are sure you want to stop the server, and gives you
the option to leave it running in the meantime? It could even check the
database to see if the recorder is being used, and not bother asking the user
if it is actually safe to restart the daemon.

I could have a shot at writing a detection script, but I don't know how to
integrate it into debconf unfortunately. Any thoughts?

Regards

Kyle
--
Kyle Gordon