[mythtv] max channels on a stream

Mark Spieth mark at dclabs.com.au
Fri Dec 16 23:40:40 EST 2005

Im just working on multi channel audio. (finally)
what is the max number of channels a stream can have?
AC3 is 6 (5.1)
DTS? 8?
is 3 possible with existing soundcards/streams? (L+C+R) probably as eventually there should be a config item to indicate max channels which may be < the channels the card is capable of.
what Ive currently done is to let Reconfigure try stream max channels first and then progressively degrade as the sound card/driver capabilities arent met.
I assume transcode will be limited to 2 channels (for the moment).
hopefully Ill have a patch for testing by end of sunday.

I also have a partial patch for audio in mythcommflag. the infrastructure is there but it doesnt use it yet for comm detection. if anyone wants it to play with just yell.

mark