[mythtv] Audio stutter on black screens

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 09:30:14 EST 2005

On Thursday 15 Dec 2005 23:10, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Hmmm, thinking out loud here, but it's almost like the data rate
> drops too low for the decoder at this point. Would make sense since
> a pure black screen would have a very low data rate compared to a
> much more colourful screen.

I think you may be onto something here. The channels I have had most problems
with in recent days also happens to have the lowest average bitrates.

See http://varied.myby.co.uk/dtt/
(e.g. More4)

Now that alone wasn't a problem before but combined with a recent change,
maybe it was enough to highlight the problem for me?

For example the cause of my other major problem which also affected the lower
bitrate channels was Mark Spieth's patch commited in [8244] and a partially
reverted in [8265], [8267].

As other have seen the same issue for varying lengths of time, I would guess
that the root cause is further back. It may be a long standing problem with
ffmpeg, although I might have expected them to have noticed by now!?
--
Stuart Morgan