[mythtv] Autoexpire doesn't remove LiveTV files

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 08:54:42 EST 2005

On Thursday 15 December 2005 1:34, BP wrote:
> Chris Pinkham wrote:
>

> > You can't disable AutoExpire anymore, that setting went away.
> > If you don't want normal recordings autoexpiring, then don't turn
> > on autoexpire on your scheduled recordings.
> >

> Yeah, this is a very old thread...been very busy lately.
>
> Anyhow, what is the reason for forcing people to use AutoExpire?

The new LiveTV architecture treats everything as a mini-recording.  Each
time you change channels, it creates a new recording.  Unless you want
to be "forced" to manually delete every little recording that collects
in your directory while you're channel surfing, auto-expire must be
enabled.

> Now I  have to go through all my existing recordings and make sure
> they do not have the flag set?  And then go through all my recording
> profiles and disable it there as well?  That's 200+ recordings and 30+
> recording profiles.

As Chris mentioned elsewhere in this thread, this is easily done with 2
SQL statments.

> Thankfully Mythtv is open source and I can patch out AutoExpire.

Yes, you can, but I don't recommend it.  Use the SQL statements to turn
it off for your existing recordings, and default it to "off" for new
recordings in the setup.

> Just  seems silly for something of this nature.

We ridicule what we don't understand... I hope I've explained it
sufficiently.

HTH,
JAC