[mythtv] AC3/DTS passthru, does anyone see a use for these?

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Mon Dec 12 14:56:42 EST 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:21:22 -0500, Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 11:06, Tj NG wrote:
>> Is this meant for
>> Internal playback of DVD or for TV viewing?
>>
> same question, since I don't see broadcasts using DTS anytime soon
> (they've paid for the AC3 license why pay more for DTS?) this only seems
> useful for DVD playback, and it seems like most people use Xine for DVD's
> since it supports menus, so how much use this will be until then?

I use it for DVD viewing. From the lists it seems quite a number of people
use 'Internal' for DVD playing. I certainly prefer it to the other options
- much more seamless integration with the rest of myth.

I'm sure it won't be all that long before the internal myth player has
menu support and then I'm sure people will switch to it en mass. It's
already good at playing main features and works very well with myth
DVD which rips them as single vob files. I for one would like to see it
improve further.

I also have a couple of music DVDs that only have DTS tracks on (well,
they have DVD-Audio too, but no sign of any Linux support for that on the
horizon).

The submitted DTS patch doesn't apply at the moment due to the rewrite of
autoSelectAudioTrack. I've already fixed it and am testing the result.

Cheers,

Martin.