[mythtv] XvMC

Dan Pou daniel.pou at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 16:57:29 EST 2005

I have been experimenting with XvMC optimizations in myth to get HDTV
(pchdtv 3000) working with mixed results.
I am not so interested in higher speed cpu solutions because the goal
is a quiet (flash drive and fanless) frontend.

Server:
Athlon-xp mobile 1.66 Ghz w/ g-force mmx 440 mx 7676 nvidia binary
driver, I get acceptable performance for playback (<40% cpu 1920x1088)
using XvMC with XvMCW set to XvMCNVIDIA

Client:
Commel Via C3-2 + CN400 Unichrome Pro chipset
linux 2.6.14.3
debian with latest from unichrome debs
libviaxvmc libviaxvmcw libxvmcw1 libxvmc1 and xserver-xorg

I can play lower rest (<1080i) HDTV with Via Xvmc but I get Blue
Background and error insufficient resources error with high res.
If I switch to standard XvMC, it can't keep up.

I saw someone mention they had HDTV working w/ this board before, so I
am wondering if I am missing a compile option or something else

I compiled from 12/10 svn myth and enabled xvmc,xvmc-pro
configure showed -lXvMCW for xvmc lib

Second issue, is transcode for HDTV working? mythtranscode currently
segfaults for me, I read of a problem associated with lame-dev, is
there aproblem with the current lame release (3.96) or is it something
else?

Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance,
Dan