[mythtv] Why Not MPEG-2 Encoding?

Jim Peterson elkniwt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:31:07 UTC 2005

On 12/5/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> To be honest, Myth will never be about beating the Tivo pricepoint.

  To be honest, it's not so much the price point as the fact that I
  bought a slim case because I thought it would work well in my living
  room... only to find out that it is *loud*... hence the MediaMVP.  The
  slim case only houses half-height PCI cards, and I'm *way* too nervous
  about moving a brand new motherboard to a new case... so I'm kinda stuck
  with the TV tuner I have.

On 12/5/05, *Bryan Mayland* <> wrote:

>    Ah yes, that is true.  I don't know why it isn't an option though,
since I can't see a technical reason it can't be.  Maybe Jim can write
it, because it definitely would require code changes.

  If, by "Jim", you mean me (and not some wise, all-powerful MythTV
  developer) then... yeah!  I'm all over it!  Sorta.  Just, please, someone
  point me in the right direction and I'll code it up.  Frankly, I would
  think that you would want the ability to add arbitrary encoder modules...
  *.so files that export a user-readable name and some GUI option tweaks.
  Then it would be easier to add more in the future, in case someone has
  their own favorite.

  Given the $86 cost for a MediaMVP, I would think that quite a few people
  would be very interested in recording to a compatible format regardless
  of whether or not their grabber has an encoder.

--Jim
[BTW: "Gaa!"  How do you configure the mailing list to only send you some
threads (or configure gmail to direct mailing list traffic to another
folder)?  So *much* stuff started flowing in that I changed my preferences
and missed the back half of this thread... hence the hand-tweaked post as a
response to a previous message.]