[mythtv] Should MythTV enable CC on PVR-x50's if VBI is enabled?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 8 03:43:28 EST 2005

In MythTV 0.18.1, ivtv 0.4.0 (SBE/FE,-350) and itvtv 0.4.1-r1 (MBE,-250):

I just enabled VBI/NTSC via mythtv-setup and discovered that
closed-captioning data still wasn't being captured or displayed, even
after booting both the MBE and the SBE/FE.  However, when I followed
the (excellent! thank you, Hans!) directions in ivtv/README.vbi, and
did "ivtvctl -b wss,cc -x 1" and "ivtvctl -w wss,cc" on the SBE/FE's
350, CC in LiveTV worked immediately.  Similarly, doing the former
command on one of the 250's in the MBE also gave me a recording w/CC
data in it.

Is there some reason why, if someone sets the VBI/NTSC option in
mythtv-setup, Myth doesn't automatically do this for all x50's it
finds in all backends?  It's counterintuitive that someone who wants
CC data has to turn on this flag and it still does absolutely nothing
unless they happen to have read a file in ivtv's source code tree.
(Fortunately, I read that a while ago and remembered that it was
there.)  It also means I now need to decide how late in the boot
process (and thus where) I should embed a script that iterates over
all the video devices and sets this up; the right time would seem to
be when a backend initializes itself instead.  [In fact, now I'm
wondering whether this UI flag does nothing at all, but I'll leave
it alone instead of flipping it back and (maybe) rebooting just to see.]

I don't see any evidence that this is different in SVN, but maybe I've
just missed it somehow.  (I'm not running it, but I searched the
archives.)

Thanks...