[mythtv] Why Not MPEG-2 Encoding?

Jim Peterson elkniwt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 14:24:16 UTC 2005

On 12/3/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> And this is more of a -user question than -dev.

  Sorry for the potential misfiling of my post, though given that I would
need some developer input if I was going to add this option, I felt it best
to post here.

real-time MPEG2 encoding isn't possible with software encoding capture
> cards.

  I understand that to be a dated statement, such that one day it won't be
true anymore.  Do you happen to know at what rate currently (video/realtime)
an MPEG-2 software encoder can perform (and on what system)?  Does this only
hold for high-quality encoding?

You'd be best to spend the $65 or so and get a PVR-150 (regular
> or MCE edition) and capture straight to MPEG-2 using its hardware
> encoder.

  I might look into that... but it's getting harder and harder to meet a
"TiVO + 1 year subscription" price point.  I guess I just should have gotten
a quieter front end, so I could keep it in my living room.

--Jim