[mythtv] Commercial Skip Algorithm

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 4 06:53:36 UTC 2005

cardboil wrote:

> Based on my limited understanding, it appears that the commercial skip
> algorithm uses blank frame and/or logo detection to flag the start and
> end of commercials.  Some of my TV channels (non-U.S.) don't insert
> blank frames or change logos during commercial breaks and I'd like to
> figure out other mechanisms to track start/end points.
>
> Any ideas people have tried?
>
> Also, can you point me to some detailed info on how the current
> commercial skip algorithm works?

Myth currently supports:
1) Blank frame
2) Scene change
3) Blank frame with scene change
4) Logo (the little channel identifier logo)
255) All (combines all the above--basically blank frame with scene
change and logo)

So, my recommendation is to set it to use All and it should work on your
channels with blank frames and/or logos, and will do better than just
blank frame or logo on the ones without.  Set it in Settings.

Mike