[mythtv] Why Not MPEG-2 Encoding?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Dec 3 17:01:13 UTC 2005

Jim Peterson wrote:

>   I have a MediaMVP, that I wish to use with the mvpmc project
> (http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/) as a front end to MythTV.
> Unfortunately, my video capture card does not have an MPEG-2 encoder
> on it (hey, it was $20 and it works fine, otherwise).  I see that
> mythbackend can encode the stream to RTjpeg or MPEG-4 in real time (on
> a Sempron 2200), but the mvpmc project only supports MPEG-1 and MPEG-2
> (since the MediaMVP has a 300 MHz PPC with an MPEG-2 decoder attached).
>
>   So, my question is: why can't I encode to an MPEG-2 format
> (compatible with mvpmc) straight off of my capture card?  Would that
> be as simple as adding another codec option?  Does this require
> patching?  Is it feasible?  If so, where is a good place to start?

real-time MPEG2 encoding isn't possible with software encoding capture
cards.  You'd be best to spend the $65 or so and get a PVR-150 (regular
or MCE edition) and capture straight to MPEG-2 using its hardware
encoder.  It *may* be possible to transcode from MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 after
the recording is done but I've never done that so I'm not sure of all
the steps.  And this is more of a -user question than -dev.

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net