[mythtv] bug recording uncompressed audio?

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Aug 19 00:17:45 UTC 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 07:27 pm, Ed W wrote:
> >You're failing to see that sending in a completely untested patch is
> > *exactly* the same thing as complaining and not sending in any
> > information.
>
> I disagree.  I have personally fixed up a number of nearly complete
> patches posted here and finalised them.  Probably without the initial
> legwork being done I wouldn't have done so.

Heh.  And, a lot of those patches that you fixed up were ones I rejected for
various reasons and the original author didn't feel like fixing.  I assume
most of them were run once or twice by the person who submitted them, though.

> I can't tell from the patch whether this is a bodge or a decent fix, but
> I think it was a useful post which *might* help someone who finds it in
> the archives at a later stage while debugging the issue (assuming it's
> not now fixed in cvs?)

Why bother even attaching a patch if it's completely untested?  For _me_ to
test if it's fixed, I'll have to go find a bttv card, open up my dev box,
stick it in, configure it, etc, and test it.  Strangely enough, that's
exactly what I'd have to do if there wasn't a patch attached.  Figure all
that would take an hour or so.  The problem sounds relatively simple, so
debugging it from scratch would doubtfully add much time at all, either.

If the patch were tested, all I'd have to do would be to look it over to make
sure it didn't break anything else.  That'd take about a minute, maybe 5 at
the most.

Which would you rather do?

Isaac