[mythtv] Re: Archiving Shows to DVD

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Aug 14 18:31:41 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Bene" <martin.bene at icomedias.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Cc: "Development of mythtv" <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:49 PM
Subject: [mythtv] AW: [mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

>Hi Paul,

>>> Nice to see someone working on the mythburn scripts again.
>>> I've been having a play with them myself recently. One of the
>>> problems with the scripts at the moment is they where
>>> written for use on knoppmyth and contain several hard coded
>>> references to file paths etc. It would be nice to see some
>>> sort of configuration file where you could set the location
>>> of the scripts, where to create and store temporary files,
>>> what the mysql user and password should be etc. to
>>> make them work on any distribution.

>You asked for it, you got it:

>Another update for the mythburn scripts, no new features this time but
>major rewrite of configuration.

>* No more hardcoded paths
>* new installer
>* cleaned up requirements for access rights: all write access either to
>temp dir or to config dir.
>* single config file with settings for directory locations, database
>etc.

>The update is available either as a patch against current mythburn CVS
>or as a complete tarball (content equals cvs+patch).

>http://mabene.icomedias.com/mythburn/cut-0.5.diff is the diff, apply
>with patch -p1 -E (a couple of files get removed).

>Full tarball at http://mabene.icomedias.com/mythburn/mythburn.tar.gz

>* put the mythburn stuff in a sensible place; /usr/share/mythburn might
>be a good choice.
>* cd /usr/share/mythburn
>* ./install.sh

>The installation script prompts you for
> - tv dir (where the recordings are stored)
> - directory where mythtv fonts live
> - directory to put temp files (will be created)
> - place to put DVD file structure (will be created)
> - user the webserver runs as
> - group the webserver runs as
> - directory where MythWeb is installed
> - host the mysql database is running on
> - name of mysql database
> - username for accessing database
> - password for accessing database

>All config settings have defaults that match KnopMyth setup. Most
>settings are checked so it's not easy to enter invalid settins that
>could lead to problems later on.

>The installation script sets file and directoy owner and access rights,
>writes a config file, creates symlinks in the Mythweb directory and
>patches the "burn dvd" link into mythburn.

>If all required packages are installed, you're ready to go.

>This should work regardless of your installation; I wrote the scripts on
>gentoo and did some minimal testing on Knopmyth.

>Let me know why it doesn't work for you and how I broke your system :-)

>Bye, Martin

Hi Martin

 I started with a fresh install of MythWeb and used your full tarball
of mythburn. The installation script worked like a charm once I worked
out what user & group to use for apache2. Excellent work. Thank you.

I selected 3 programs to burn using mythweb and the scripts completed
with no problems.

I do seem to have a problem with the audio channels though on the
created DVD. I have to manually select the correct audio channel.
For the first program I have to select channel 2, for the second and third
I have to select channel 1. Selecting AUTO doesn't work.

At the moment I'm just using xine to test the created DVD/VIDEO_TS files
without burning any DVD's by the way.

I'll investigate further when I have more time.

Thanks, Paul