[mythtv] Archiving Shows to DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Aug 14 12:41:18 UTC 2005

 	A few inclusions:

> I had the impression that the one place where mythtv could handele mpeg
> a/v sync perfectly was on decode, and this only supports video + 1 audio
> stream, plus requires recoding; ther's been talk if it wouldn't still be
> a valueable option to have a reencoding mpeg2=>mpeg2 transform since
> it'd allow you to
> - do frame-accurate cuts
 	- Nice as a freebie, but not worth spending lots of time on IMO.
> - optionaly reduce bandwith to cram more stuff onto a DVD
 	- by doing 2-pass encoding with variable GOP length
 	- by sampling at a very high resolution/bitrate and applying more
 	advanced  denoising filters and resizers. (ivtv cards don't do a
 	good job of capturing low-res, even though that's all that's
 	necessary for OTA cable)
> - have no trouble with A/V sync - decode in mythtv definitely gets that
> right.
 	- DINGDINGDING!  We have a winner... ;)

-Cory