[mythtv] Why nuppelvideo mpeg4?

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Tue Aug 9 13:06:09 EDT 2005

Thanks for all the replies so far.  A few quick questions :

- does the patched mplayer.dll work perfectly?  For me, it only plays
  some of the mpeg4 files, and it seems to die halfway through the bulk
  of the ones it does work for
- mpeg4.nuv seeking in xbmc is way broken, it thinks 30m shows are 3
  minutes long.  the FF, RF doesn't work well for me.
- i asked this before, and i still need a bit of clarification.  mpeg2's
  from pvr's work fine, and are standard mpeg2's.  Someone replied and
  said mpeg4.nuv's are a whole different beast.  what container does
  the mepg2's use?  and why not use that container for the mpeg4s?
  or is it in some other aspect that the mpeg4's are different?

And to clarify, I'm not saying that mythtv is broken in the slightest.
I'm just trying to figure out a way to make it more compatible with
external applications so I can migrate content off mythtv for archival
purposes.  And as I don't want to have to convert the content multiple
times based on the yet unkown target I want to watch the content -
especially as it'll be burned on a DVD - I would prefer some standard
encoding format.  I'm reluctant to use mpeg2 for compression reasons (I
can fit a lot more mpeg4 in the same space).

Reza

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:25:58AM +1000, Lincoln Dale sent me this...