[mythtv] Why nuppelvideo mpeg4?

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Mon Aug 8 12:52:59 EDT 2005

I was wondering why we are using the nuppelvideo container for mpeg4? It
can't be hard to convert to a different format - nuv2avi works great.
Why is it that we're not using avi's (for example) rather than nuv's to
store the files?  mplayer (used by xbmc) has a lot of issues with the
.nuv files, and unless you have the special codecs installed on windows
.nuv mpeg4 files will not play.

How hard would it be (and are there any reasons no to) modify the code
such that it will generate more friendly mpeg4 files?

Thnx
Reza

p.s. what is all the seek information in the DB for?  why isn't that
in the video file itself?