[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Sat Apr 23 21:37:51 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 16:16 -0400, Doug Larrick wrote:

> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > Yes, but I fixed it by not getting the X11 lock for
> > glXWaitVideoSyncSGI().
> >
> > I can't google anything that says this is safe though.
>
> IIRC the OpenGL context includes the thread that created it, and it's
> only safe to use that context from that thread.  glXMakeCurrent takes
> care of serialization.  I'm just talking from recollection though.
>
> - -Doug

I would generally assume this to be the case with OpenGL, it is
usually happy running in a separate thread from the event/X11
thread. But turning off OpenGL VSync prevents the lockups that
people have been seeing, so something is causing problems in
there.

Perhaps we need some X11S(glXWaitGL()) or X11S(glXWaitX()) calls
to synchronize with X?

-- Daniel