[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

MagicITX magicitx at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 04:58:43 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 April 2005 11:54 pm, Damion de Soto wrote:
> > Why is this?
> > I was wondering this a few weeks ago, when i discovered it was
> > my window manager that was causing me troubles trying to get
> > myth to start ogle to watch DVDs (fvwm2 wasn't centering ogle's window on
> > the screen, and I could see the mythtv border along one edge).
> >
> > I don't know any of the technicalities of it, but it would seem
> > better to me to just let mythtv run full screen directly without requiring
> > a window manager, no?
>
> If you just run mythtv, mythmusic, mythweather, mythnews, mythgallery, (and
> maybe) mythbrowser + mythphone, you're fine without one.  If you use mythdvd
> or mythvideo or mythgame, however, you start launching external applications,
> which means other windows on screen.  This basically requires a window
> manager to take care of key focus issues.
>
> Isaac

We did have some early trouble with the key focus issue playing dvd's
as you mention.  That went away when we switched to videolan client
for dvd and video playback.  I'm not sure why that made a difference.
Maybe because of the way vlc splits the control interface from the
video display.  Anyway we seldom have any trouble.

--
Tim
www.magicitx.com