[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Neil Whelchel koyama at firstlight.net
Fri Apr 22 03:49:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Isaac Richards wrote:

> A standalone media system doesn't need to reimplement every single app under
> the sun inside of it.  And if it _were_ completely stanalone, you'd not need
> to run external applications from a keypress, hmm?

Very good point, one I have dealt with myself, and yes, it is was
completely standalone, I agree (which is the goal in my case, a very good
argument to not include the patch), however the patch is an 'attempt' to
deal with some custom configurations such as Crestron. To be more
specific, the roms will be built always with Myth, and optionally with
one other application from a choice of many. And the real point here is
that I need the outside app to NOT run when viewing TV.
How about meeting this one in the middle, simply bind a couple of keys to
execute fixed named files (can be a link to what is needed).

> > If the answer is the latter, Mythtv needs to have everything within the
> > gui to configure a machine from zero, and I might point out that I have
> > patched it to do as much at the moment. (All it needed was a way to
> > configure where it mounts the shared media directory and the Ethernet
> > configuration, and I can do every bit of front end configuration that I
> > will ever need to do to make an embedded frontend.)
>
> Or within a separate UI that's part of the OS install.

True, however if there is no OS install, in the case of an ebedded system,
you still need a way to set the IP configuration and the path the the
fileserver. Sure, you could do this with an external app, (bind a key to
it with any of our discussed methods), but it is not very clean, as it is
now not in the configuration menu. Maybe there should be an app that
watches for the availability of the fileserver, and open a configuration
app over the top of Myth if there is a failure, but there is not much that
has to be added to Myth to make it workable.

> This patch isn't going in to Myth.  Neither is a shell, or gcc, or the kernel.
> Stuff that's better implemented elsewhere, is, well, better implemented
> elsewhere.

I respect your opinion, however I think that you should consider a
configuration module for those of us that wish to do all of the
(embedded) system configuration from within Myth using a remote control.
If so, I will get busy on one...

BTW... The embedded system I am using is an NEC plasma TV. I managed to
get Myth running on the signal processor board (Arm 9 based). (I hope this
explains my limited hardware resources and lack of a GUI OS install) ;)

-Neil Whelchel-
First Light Internet Services
760 366-0145
- We don't do Window$, that's what the janitor is for -

Bubble Memory, n.:
        A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
intelligence.  See also "vacuum tube".