[mythtv] DVB patch for Freeview/Xtraview

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 18:11:22 UTC 2005

Stephen Williams wrote:
>>I seem to remember someone mentioning that there was a java mhep5 viewer
>>available, perhaps on sourceforge.  You might want to start there?
>>
>>Ed W
>

> I remember David Matthews mentioned a while back (December 2004 I
> think) that he was writing an MHEG-5 player for Myth, I believe he set
> up a sourceforge project for this as well but I can't find it now.

I wrote a MHEG-5 viewer in C++ with Qt and got it to the stage where it
would view most of the object carousels from Freeview including the
games in Yooplay (for what they're worth).  I set up a sourceforge
project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemheg for the source (just
in CVS at the moment) but I've been too busy with work and other things
to take it any further.  It requires something (e.g. libdsmcc) to
download the object carousels and FreeMHEG can be used to view them.

To take this further so that it provides the same functionality as in a
set-top box it really needs to be more tightly integrated.  The MHEG
code can, and often does, need to tune into specific PIDs or channels
and I really don't know how that would work with Myth.  If anyone would
like to do this please get in touch by email.  Incidentally, the MHEG-5
standard from ISO is very expensive but there is an ITU standard, T.172,
which is "technically aligned" with it (identical as far as I can see)
and that can be downloaded free by registering at the ITU site.

David.