[mythtv] mythtranscode and "commflagged"

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Apr 13 04:55:48 UTC 2005

> > > Should mythtranscode be clearing the "commflagged" value of a
> > > transcoded show, or is recording playback not quite working with
> > > commercial-skip on a transcoded recording?
> >
> > Yes, this is another bug.  The commflagged field should be reset
> > back to 0 whenever the cutlist is applied.  I'll fix this when I
> > test the other patch above.
>
> In mythtv-setup there is a "Job Queue (Global)" option to "Run
> Transcode Jobs before Auto-Commercial Flagging". This bug kind of
> means that if auto-transcoding is turned on in some recording profile,
> then transcode jobs should run *first* (any commercial flagging would
> otherwise be rendered unusable by the following transcode job).

Auto-transcode does not cause the recordedmarkup table to be cleared
because the "apply cutlist" option is not passed to mythtranscode.
So, the flagging can be done before or after transcoding as long as
you aren't applying a cutlist when transcoding.  This was part of
the reason I added this option.  I transcode my HDTV recordings from
my air2pc card, then I flag them since playback is costly on cpu,
so rather than playing back 2 high-def recordings, I only play back one
high and one lower.  Others might want commercial flagging to be
done first though, so they have the option of doing so which allows
them to skip commercials faster and the commercial flagging info is
still retained after the transcode.

> I don't understand the tradeoffs associated with this option. Is this
> intended to allow people to watch a commercial-free recording ASAP,
> and just let the transcoding run concurrently/afterwards for archival
> purposes, vs. disk-constrained systems that need to free up disk space
> ASAP, and then leisurely run commflag afterwards?

Well, if you run flagging first, you can watch a recording and skip
commercials right after flagging is done while the transcode chugs
away.  If you're short on space and don't mind when flagging is done,
you can transcode first and flag later.  I transcode my air2pc recordings
down because I haven't built a box fast enough to play them yet.

--
Chris