[mythtv] .18 and the new configure script

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Apr 9 15:06:38 UTC 2005

> > For .18 at least can we make the default behavior of the configure
> > script to produce the same compiler flags and what we've used in the
> > past and force the user to explicitly pass some sort of "I understand
> > that my shit may crash because I'm going outside the support cflags"
> > parameter?

> This is easy enough to add, but can you produce some backtraces so we
> can see what is causing the crashes?
>
> Usually people are complaining to me about the lack of optimization. ;)

I love the new configure script, but I also agree with Donavan, I think
that for 0.18, we're probably best to have it default to the same
as 0.17.  The 0.18 release is rather quick (relatively) behind 0.17
and since Myth's userbase is growing and growing each version, it would
be nice if we had some more testing on the script before making the
new optimizations the default.  Otherwise, we're going from a single
case of "this is the supported set of compiler flags" to a multitude
of different sets in addition to making it a whole lot easier for
the end user to set what they want.  This could bite us if a packaged
version used a different set of flags than what we've been using by
default and one of those flags caused a problem for a large set
of users.

That being said, thanks for working on this.  It makes things a whole
lot easier, even for devs. :)

--
Chris