[mythtv] .18 and the new configure script

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Apr 9 14:34:07 UTC 2005

Myself and others have had major stability issues if we allow the new
configure script to select our optimizations.  On my P4 backend I'd get
segfaults when watching live SDTV live TV, on my celeron frontend I'd
get segfaults when watching 1080i content.  In both of my cases, the
areas that were segfaulting were completely unrelated.  It appears as
though some of the P4 optimizations lead to code that has buffer
overruns in it.

For .18 at least can we make the default behavior of the configure
script to produce the same compiler flags and what we've used in the
past and force the user to explicitly pass some sort of "I understand
that my shit may crash because I'm going outside the support cflags"
parameter?