[mythtv] Re: [experimental patch] vbi decoder for IVTV cards

Johan Duinkerken johan at duinkerken.nu
Fri Apr 8 22:46:45 UTC 2005

Op Saturday 9 April 2005 01:11, schreef Martin Barnasconi:

> The teletext overlay has its own OSD: OSDtypeteletext, derived from the
> main OSD class. I only tested this for Xv video output, as I have a PVR250
> card. Your TV output goes via the ivtv videooutput driver; guess you need
> to add some things here...
> Alternative approach is to do a vbi passthrough to the TV output, and you
> should be able to view the teletext by using your "normal" teletext button
> on the remote of your TV.
> vbi passthrough can be enabled by using the ivtvctl program as part of the
> ivtv sources. I have no idea if this works in myth, since myth will set the
> ivtv card in vbi embedded mode.
> Please let me know if this works or not; we can add an option to the menu
> later to define whether vbi needs to be embedded or if passthrough is
> required,

Alas, it was one of my first attempts; the TV detects something like teletext
but gives me a "Page not available" message.
Maybe I'll post this question in the ivtv-mailing-list, to ask them if my TV
should be able to give me teletext from the VBI-passthrough. I know that
there's still some development going on there...

As soon as I know more, I'll let you know.

(And if nothing else works, I can always clone my entire X-windows-desktop to
my TV. It gives me a bit of a nagging feeling though, because the OSD works
perfectly!)

Cheers,
Johan Duinkerken.