[mythtv] Skipping Commercials When Not Done Flagging

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Tue Apr 5 03:02:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:57:06PM -0700, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:
> >This is true for me as well, I use an EPIA M9000 board with the
> >integrated C3 933Mhz CPU.  It's incredibly slow at commercial flagging
> >and other CPU oriented tasks.
>
> I have to agree, my via c3 is very slow, and commercial flagging can
> sometimes get a week behind with two encoder cards until I use my Mac
> to help catch up.  It would be nice to be able to skip in partially
> flagged shows.

I always felt a good interface for this would be to trigger live flagging
through the pressing of the "end" (skip to next mark) key while watching a
show.  Currently it displays "not flagged" but it could also mean,
"Here's the start of a commercial break.  Please start flagging scan 10
minutes futher into the show, or move there if you are currently trying to
flag the past.   Come back and re-flag the parts you missed later."

This would tell it:
    a) I'm watching this show now and am interested in it being flagged.
    b) Don't waste time on the prior section of the video I've already watched,
       at least for right now.
    c) Since I am at a commercial break right now, I am going to manually skip
       it, so don't bother looking until the minimum gap before the next
       break (probably about 10 minutes.)

This allows flagging while watching even if your CPU is not up to the task,
because it gets a 10 minute head start.  If it gets behind again, you have to
manually skip -- and then give it another 10 minute head start.

Of course, if you can scan faster than real-time, and you start shortly after
 the show starts recording, then you will not see this behaviour, it will
have already flagged the break, unless the break is not yet finished.