[mythtv] French dvb-t distribution via satellite.

drbob drbob at gmx.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 12:45:09 UTC 2005

Hello,

You may know that France launched a dvb-t service on 31st March.
They initially have 5 multiplexes, increasing to six over the next
couple of years. The multiplexes are distributed to some regional
transmitters via *three* transponders on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5° west.

11590V SR19635 - Mux R1 (standard dvb stream)

11636V SR30405 FEC 7/8 - I believe this is Mux R2 and R3

11139V SR30520 FEC 7/8 - mux 4 and 6

I understand that they will be using a custom solution to
encapsulate/concatenate two 23Mbit/s dvb-t transport streams into one
49Mbit/s dvb-s stream. The dvb-s stream will not be encrypted but due to
this concatenation (which is in order to save money by only paying for 3
satellite transponders rather than 6 and not have to demux/remux the
streams at each regional transmitter) standard dvb-s receivers will not
be able to access the channels within these streams. When mux 5 comes
online in a few years time mux 1 will also become inaccessible.

As most budget dvb-s pci cards dump the entire transport stream to the
host computer, is anyone interested in taking a look at this with a view
to de-concatenating this stream in software? This would result in one
frequency giving *two* standards compliant dvb streams.

Please accept my apologies if I'm posting this request in the wrong
place; I thought about asking on the dvb driver list but it seems to me
that they would probably say it's the drivers job to provide access to
the hardware and it's up to the tv application to deal with any non
standard streams.

I am not a programmer but will be able to provide dumps of the transport
stream for anyone who can't receive them from the satellite once I get
my dvb-s card (soon).

regards,

drbob