[mythtv] Feature Request: OSD Plugins

Jay Merrifield fracmak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 02:16:02 UTC 2005

After reading about the new OSD experimental patch, it got me thinking
into the possibilities that it could open up for new features for
mythtv. What if we had an add-on system for dynamic OSDs threads that
could pop on screen when certain events are triggered, or when certain
buttons are triggered. Examples would be pushing a button to display
the current time, or another button that would show you the current
forcast. Or perhaps a little widget that would display an icon
whenever you receive new mail. Perhaps you could push a button and
whatever that mail is will display in a small PiP box over the current
screen. This could be expanded to allow OSDs during menu navigation
instead of only during playback. Maybe we could also work it in so
that you could have the current weather scrolling along the top or
bottom of the screen like a stock ticker and the screen could resize
itself so you don't miss anything. I'd love to be able to push a
button and get some quick info while watching a tv.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
Jay