[mythtv] HW Setup for NuppelVideoRecorder

Brett Keating brett at yesvideo.com
Wed Sep 29 15:35:06 EDT 2004

I'd like to know what kind of hardware set-up is needed in order to get the software encoder (the NuppelVideoRecorder) to be used by MythTV.

I currently have a Hauppage PVR-350, and I appear to be forced to accept the hardware-encoded MPEG-2 produced by the card. I would prefer to receive raw video, audio, VBI, etc. from the card and have that input to MythTV and encoded by the real-time JPEG encoder.

I am willing to swap out my tuner card for another card, if that is the simplest and/or cheapest solution. However, I am also willing to do a bit of mucking with the code if it's not too much trouble, to get the current card to do what I want with MythTV.

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to access the raw video, audio and closed-caption data from within the MythTV code during a recording. If you know how to do this, and see that I am barking up the wrong tree, let me know... but it seems fairly straightforward to do so, so long as the software encoder is being used during recording.

Yet another alternative that I would be happy about, is to receive audio/closed-caption data during a post-processing pass similar to what is done for the commercial skip code. I see how to get the raw video from the commercial skip code, but not how to get audio or closed-caption data.