[mythtv] ivtv and Mandrake 10.0

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Wed Sep 29 00:48:56 EDT 2004

Tim Cluff wrote:

> I've been having difficulty getting ivtv to work with my Hauppauge
> PVR-250  in a clean install of Mandrake 10.  .1.9 wouldn't compile at
> all, so after searching I found .1.10-pre2-ck105x. It succesfully
> compiled, and I added
>
>        options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 tuner=2
>     options msp3400 once=0 simpler=1 simple=0
>     add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner saa7127
>
> to /etc/modules.conf and did 'modprobe ivtv'.  However, cat
> /dev/video0 > test.mpg gives me an input errror and attempting to view
> it in mythtv gives a decoder error.
>
> The channel down button just broke on my TV and the remotes long dead
> so any help getting this working would be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

The default Mandrake kernel ships with an older version of IVTV. These
files are the ones loaded when you use modprobe. You will need to delete
the following directory (and the files in it):

/usr/lib/`uname -r`/kernel/3rdparty/ivtv

and then run

depmod -a

Then you should be able to just run modbrobe ivtv.  Depending on your
hardware and needs, you likely don't even need the entries in
modules.conf as the new ck versions of IVTV are quite smart in their
auto-detection. In any event, modules.conf is no longer used in a
default install of Mandrake 10. /etc/modprobe.conf is the replacement.

The way that I do it is to add the line

ivtv

to the /etc/modules file. This file is used to load modules at boot time.

As an aside, Mandrake also ships with an older version of lirc (and
associated kernel modules) that does not support the hauppauge remote so
you will likely have to compile and install that.

I have source RPM's for both lirc-070-cvs20040905 and
IVTV-0.1.10-pre2-ck107p that I used on my dedicated mandrake 10 Myth
box. If you like, let me know and I will post them somewhere so you can
download them. Anyone else is welcome to them, just let me know. They
work for me but YMMV.

Just note that these are source RPM's and will need to be compiled using
rpmbuild --rebuild <rpmname>, and then installed using rpm -Uvh
<binaryRPMName>.

Cheers
Scott Petersen
scott_at_slal.net (don't just reply becuase this is sent from a spam
catching e-mail.)