[mythtv] DVBCam Class

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Sep 21 15:55:34 EDT 2004

>There also may be some people on the list that can clarify what the true difference betwen a PS
>and a TS is and keep me from reading the MPEG specs.  If not i'll figure it out because it didnt
>look to difficult from a quick skim of the MPEG specs.

TS is just mpeg broken up into something like 80 byte packets.  Each
packet starts with a unique code (for sync), and you basically just read
each set of 80 bytes and reassemble (I forget now if it's 80 bytes or 90
bytes, but you get the basic idea).  Each packet has a pid and you can
figure out the stream from that.  You presumably understand the way the
pid is described in the TS stream already.

So it's quite easy to turn a TS into a PS, and vice versa, the
difference is really down to it being presumably easier to pack in more
stuff into a TS, whereas I'm not quite sure how multiple audio is
handled in the PS..?

Just to really rock your boat there is also PES which is PS with some
extra info... I can dig out some docs with the details when I next get a
chance, but have a browse through the DVB mailing list where I and
others have asked this question and got good answers.

>It would require writing that data to the RingBuffer, but thats probbably not that hard..

Well the ring buffer doesnt care what you write to it, and if we just
wrote a TS in all cases then we delegate the decoding and parsing to the
player app anyway, so basically if it's in the TS stream then we can
keep it...

Good luck

Ed W