[mythtv] 4:3 content on 16:9 HDTV & Black bars - revisited

Moasat mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 14 19:38:46 EDT 2004

I haven't worked out the optimum setup yet but with a modeline of 960x540, I
get a great looking picture but my TV locks into widescreen and the
smooth-wide mode is not an option any longer so I end up with black bars
when watching 4:3 content.  Not that I understand why but I've been warned
not to leave the black bars on the screen for more than about 10% of the
viewing time or burn-in will occur.  I kind of figured that sort of thing
wouldn't happen with newer TVs but I'm not an engineer so I'm taking other
people's word for it.  For my setup though, I figured a software version of
the smooth-wide mode in Myth would solve the problem for me.