[mythtv] Mac OS X "instructions"

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Mon Sep 13 18:37:11 EDT 2004

On 13 Sep 2004, at 6:55 AM, Jan Örnstedt wrote:

> I am trying to put together a darwinports bundle for this. If you have
> any good hints let me know ;-)
> At the moment I get it to compile nice but have some problems with the
> app not finding the dylibs...

I have played with this a bit, and succeeded in getting the libraries
to live in the Frameworks directory for the .app bundle.  Copy all the
needed dylibs there, and use "otool" and "install_name_tool" to change
the lookup paths.  For example:

install_name_tool -change libmyth-0.16.0.dylib \
   @executable_path/../Frameworks/libmyth-0.16.0.dylib \
   mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend

For more information, see this web page, and look at the man pages for
otool and install_name_tool:

http://qin.laya.com/tech_coding_help/dylib_linking.html

Note that I did not have to change the library names (no
"install_name_tool -id ..." commands), and it worked fine.  I only
changed libfreetype, which had /usr/local/bin/ built into its name.
Remember to use the "-change" command to fix the shared libraries' own
dependencies, too (i.e. libmythtv needs the correct path to libmyth and
friends).

With this, I had one 40 MB executable that didn't require external
libraries.  The other dependencies (/usr/local/share/mythtv, ~/.mythtv)
need to be fixed for true end-user use -- in particular, mythfrontend
should provide a GUI setup for mysql.txt -- but hopefully this is a
start.

- Jeremiah