[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 1 10:32:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:20:25PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:30:57PM -0700, Mike Benoit wrote:
> > Obviously MythTV is your baby, and I respect your opinions and
> > decisions, but just tell us upfront that your not interested so people
> > don't waste their time (and yours) trying to come up with solutions.
>
> Maybe you (or anyone) could post some reasons why support for Postgres
> would be useful, and why MySQL isn't sufficient? So far there seems to
> have been plenty of people wanting it and/or offering to help, without
> really explaining why.

Funny, *I* thought I had seen people make the point that a database
engine which randomly corrupts it's tables being used as underpinning
for an appliance wasn't, perhaps, the best idea.

Does someone think that this is *not* a sufficiently compelling answer?

If not that, I'm sure that some of the people who want to bundle boxes
commercially will be interested in funding such work, since it's likely
that licensing issues will be important to them.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi