[mythtv] New Install - 0.16 or CVS?

Jeff Thompson lists at threeputt.org
Sat Oct 30 23:13:22 UTC 2004

Jesper, thanks for the response... See my comments below:

Jesper Sörensen wrote:

> Jeff Thompson wrote:
>
>> A common approach is to create a branch for a released version for
>> fixes (ie. release-0-16-fixes) and allow new development to continue
>> on the HEAD. True, this does cause additional work for the
>> developers/maintainers to ensure that you don't reintroduce bugs by
>> forgetting to merge changes from the fixes branch to the HEAD, but it
>> has the advantage that the most stable release of the product is
>> always available.
>

> You are correct, it would be nice with a stable branch in CVS, but you
> are also correct in the fact that it would require "someone" to do the
> work. I don't know if you're volunteering to do it but personally I
> don't think it's that big of a problem and I would rather see that the
> developers spent their time on improving Myth or fixing more bugs
> (instead of fixing it twice, on different branches in CVS... ;-)

I would be happy to volunteer and do plan on participating in mythtv
development once I receive the hardware for my first mythtv system.

> If there are serious bugs/problems with a release, Isaac would
> probably make an extra bugfix release (as was the case with 0.15.1),
> and you could always backport fixes on a case by case basis. Many
> patches posted on the dev list should apply cleanly to both CVS and
> the last stable release. If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure you
> could get some help if you ask nicely.

Agreed. Again, I'm brand new to mythtv. There's obviously an active
development community and my only exposure to mythtv development has
been reviewing the mythtv-dev mailing list. I see lots of people
submitting patches to the mailing list, but it's unclear how those
patches get committed. Are there people scouring the mythtv-dev mailing
list and reviewing the patches to determine what gets committed and what
is rejected?

>> I asked the original question regarding 0.16 vs CVS HEAD stability.
>> What I'd like, which I presume is what most mythtv users would like,
>> is the most stable version of mythtv. Due to the current CVS
>> structure, it would appear that I have to pick 0.16 or CVS HEAD.
>

> My advice: if you're a new user, definitely go with 0.16 so you know
> that all dependencies are okay and you have a known baseline to start
> from. Once that's up and running you can start using CVS if there are
> some new features or bugfixes you need. The normal rules apply though:
> "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" or "If it ain't broken, fix it 'til
> it is" (take your pick) 8-)

I'll certainly start with 0.16, but I'll move to CVS once I'm
comfortable building/installing mythtv. I'm sure I'll do like you,
selectively apply patches to my running version, rather than always run
from the CVS HEAD version.

> I'm currently using a rather fresh CVS checkout, with some home made
> patches and some patches posted on the list that hasn't been committed
> yet. There are normally no problems with using CVS but if you decide
> to use it you really should keep up with the commits and dev lists.
> It's probably also a good idea to let the dust settle in CVS before
> you upgrade, so if you see massive amounts of commits it's probably a
> good idea to hold off on the upgrade for a few days until it
> stabilizes a bit. If you do it like that your Myth box should be very
> stable. It's not rocket science but rather common sense.
>
> BTW, if you're going to play the upgrade game, please remember to do a
> database dump before using the new version. Sometimes there are schema
> changes that might cause you troubles if you need to back down to an
> earlier version.
>
> Now go and have fun with the installation!

I will... Thanks :)