Feedback Request: Re: [mythtv] MythMusic metadata read/write rewrite... stumbling block....

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Fri Oct 29 18:15:52 UTC 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 11:10 am, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> So, if I want to get better tagging support for MP3 what should I do?
>
> So how about TagLib. I've never used it, know nothing about it, but I
> found a link from a guy who's run into the same problems as myself with
> the libid3tag non-implementation:
> http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Cm4YrE2OwPgJ:madman.sourceforge.net/ne
>ws.php+%22hard+general+case:+rewrite+entire+file%22&hl=en
>
> He seems to think TagLib is good:
> http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html

 I don't know anything about this. Perhaps others with experience can
comment ... ?

> 1. Stick with libid3tag and try and code a better v2_write() function
> for the final writing stages and ensure it can cope in all
> circumstances. This should eventually make it into the core of
> libid3tag, but can be version-check-specific in Myth so that older lib
> versions are still supported.

 This is my preferred option. On the assumption that this is not a one off
patch, but rather some ongoing work, it makes sense to take an otherwise good
library and help to get it fixed.

 With a version check, you've got a solution that will work now and get better
going forward.

> 2. Try to get the LAME MP3 encoder to write the ID3 size header more
> optimistically which would mean that 9 times out of 10, MythMusic could
> write the tags correctly (and certainly on it's own encoded files which
> at the moment is all it's needed for).

 Been a while since I poked at LAME, but this would involve trying to get it
to improve its tag handling. Since libid3tag is already closer to a complete
solution, this would seem like more work.

> 3. Add EasyTag as an extra external library.

 Hmmm. EasyTag is an executable, and relies on a library that Isaac mentions
is crap (if I remember this correctly). Not quite sure what you mean here?

> 4. Include EasyTag in MythMusics CVS and integrate it's build into the
> rest of the build for MythMusic.

 Ibid.

> So, er, what shoud I do? For what it's worth, 3 is the nicest if the
> dependancy can be stomached, 2 is proably the simplest (just a small
> algorithm to post process the LAME encoded file). 1 is probably the most
> work, but would benefit more people.

 I'm obviously not understanding 3, but I'd vote for 1 (I think).

- thor