[mythtv] New feature idea - MythCalendar

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Oct 29 15:06:03 UTC 2004

Ciaran wrote:
> What WebDav server is there a generic implementation that's used?

I just use Apache2 with the mod_dav module. It's pretty painless to
setup. I'm pretty sure it's generic tho'.

Not sure what libraries would be able to "talk" to a WebDav server, but
I'm guessing Curl would have all the necessary calls.

AFAIK, it basically just works with PUT and GET http commands and allows
you to put a file up there.

While I'm totally guessing, I reckon there woudl need to be some form of
algorithm to merge 2 vCalendar files (should be trivial enough, though
there are bound to be implementations out there already - e.g. Mozilla
Calendar). Then all you would do is lock remote file, grab the remote
file and merge with your local one (making sure not to duplicate
entries), then upload your new one with changes merged and unlock the file.

I doubt it would be all that hard, but you'd still need a sensible DB
schema (or something) to store the local data in I reckon.

It could be that the remote data is seen as definitive, so when you fire
open the calendar, it could trash local store, grab data, convert to DB
Schema, operate on it, then publish changes to live overwriting
everything. I don't know how this would work for people scheduling
meetings remotely etc. so perhaps not the best approach!

I'm just really thinking out loud here so this could be drivvel!

Col.