[mythtv] Patch to dvbrecorder.cpp

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Wed Oct 27 23:49:27 UTC 2004

    Taylor> If you want to help me with all the recorder related code
    Taylor> please feel free..  I have a list that is so long of
    Taylor> changes to make more help is always welcome..

There is a bug in the channel change code that I hope can get fixed.
Essentially it goes as follows (note: this is based on my observations
only, I haven't looked at the code):

* Channel 7 is the current DVB channel.

* Program is to be recorded on channel 2, and then channel 7.

* When recording the channel 2 program, the channel changing code
  reports an error, but the program records OK anyway, on the correct
  channel.

* When recording the channel 7 program, no attempt is made to change the
  channel to channel 7, as it is assumed channel 7 is the current channel
  (presumable as a result of the error in the above step), so it records
  the TV show on the current channel, in this case would be channel 2.

If I notice the problem while the second show is being recorded, I
have to stop the recording, enter live TV mode, change to channel 2
(changing to channel 7 would be a NOP as it thinks channel 7 is
already selected), and then change it to channel 7, and then restart
the recording.

Ideally, the DVB code has to realize that an error condition in
changing the channel doesn't mean that the original channel is still
tuned, it may not be. In fact, I would have thought this would be very
unlikely.

Also it is odd that the channel change reported an error when it
obviously worked, and also that recording of that show continued
regardless.

Also, another DVB related bug in the scheduler, is for analog channels
that have no DVB equivalent. In Australia, this is channel 31. Mythtv
tries to use the DVB card by default for recording channel 31, even
though there is no DVB data supplied in the database for this
channel. As such, it records what ever channel is currently
selected. In order to work around this, I have to record another show
at the same time on the DVB card, forcing MythTV to use the analog
card for 31.

    Taylor> I wanted to try to take the code from transform.c, and put
    Taylor> it into a re-usable class and avoid the function pointers,
    Taylor> and properly handle more than 1 Audio and 1 Video stream
    Taylor> with transform.c now.. Basicly write our own TS -> PES..
    Taylor> Daniel seems interested in leaving the TS recording the
    Taylor> method for the HDTV recorder.. All this means is if put
    Taylor> our focus on making a good TS -> PES transform they can
    Taylor> use, and we can use the HDTV guys stripped TS..

A TS --> PES transform would be good.
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>