[mythtv] Disk Failures (was Preemptive Disk Writes)

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Mon Oct 25 06:11:16 UTC 2004

I'd be really interested to see if your drive actually has a better
lifetime than drives that are on constantly.  I'm a big believer in
leaving server drives running constantly, but I also know that heat is
the biggest factor contributing to modern hard disk death.

Spinning up should not be an issue these days as most manufacturers have
long ago fixed the issue with stiction that used to plague certain
brands back in the day.  I've seen drives that have start stop numbers
in the 50K range for a Hitachi Deskstar 7K400.  Even if you start and
stop the drive 10 times a day that's 13 years worth.  The drive will be
toast long before that.

One of the advantages of spinning down the drive is less wear and tear
overall and no heat production versus wear and tear on the motor due to
startup and expansion and contraction stress from cold to operating
temperature.  I've had three drives fail on me recently, all of them
were left running constantly, mostly they were older junk drives
recycled from other systems but all of them had working motors but
failing mechanical systems.  Most of the drives I've helped fix recently
also had working motors, but failed sectors or mechanical problems.

My feeling these days is that drive spin up problems are a thing of the
past and that actual media and mechanical read head failure due to heat
stress are greater factors.

Yan